residential conveyancing

Transfer of Equity

If you own a property with somebody else and your relationship breaks down you may well need to deal with your share in the property.

When you buy or sell your interest in the property to another person, this is called a transfer of equity.


If you have a mortgage on your property you will need to contact your lender first to ascertain their procedure because they will need to agree to the property being transferred into just one name.

Once the lender has approved the transfer, they will write to us with their requirements.

We can help

We will prepare the necessary documentation and arrange for a transfer to be executed.

We will deal with the payment of any monies due to the person coming off the property, and with the registration at the Land Registry so the remaining person has the property on the mortgage in their sole name.

Further reading:

Jargon-busting guide to buying or selling a home (Residential Conveyancing)

This article is for general information purposes only. It does not constitute technical, financial, legal advice or any other type of professional advice and is no substitute for specific advice based on your individual circumstances. We do not accept responsibility or liability for any actions taken based on the information in this article. For more information, please click here.